Badge - Avvo, Legal. Easier.
Badge - Massachusetts Bar Association.
Badge - AILA
Badge - Federal Bar Association
Badge - United States of Appeals for the Federal Circuit

B-1 Visitor for Business/Visitor

B-1 and B-2 Visas

B-1 and B-2 visas are issued to temporary visitors for business or for pleasure. These visas are not available to individuals who are planning to study in the United States, performing skilled or unskilled labor.

A B-1 visa is issued temporarily to a visitor for business purposes. Business purposes may include consulting with business associates, attending scientific, educational, professional or business conferences, buying goods, performing work for an employer located outside the U.S. A B-1 visa holder is not allowed to be employed or operate their own company while in the U.S. and may not be paid by a source inside the US.

A B-2 visa is issued temporarily to a visitor for pleasure. “ Pleasure” is defined in the Code of Federal Regulations as, “legitimate activities of a recreational character, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature.” It may also include convention participants and amateur sporting event participants.

The B-1 and B-2 Visa Process

In order to be granted nonimmigrant status under the B-1 visa, the applicant must fill out an application form and request an appointment with their nearest U.S. Consulate outside the U.S. It is suggested that the applicant contact their nearest consulate in advance to find out the requirements for that particular consulate.

Requirements for a B-1 and B-2 Visa

In order to qualify for either a B-1 or B-2 the applicant must have residency in a foreign country with no intention of abandoning their home. The applicant must also intend to visit the United States temporarily.

Basic Required Documentation for a B-1 or B-2 Visa

Documentation that a U.S. Consulate may require in order to issue a B-1 or B-2 visa may include:

  • A letter from your employer in your home country describing the job and what tasks you will be performing for your employer while in the United States.
  • Evidence of ties to your home country and financial resources in your home country. Including proof of ownership of property, family in your home country, tax returns.
Length of Time for B-1/B-2 Visas

B-1 and B-2 visas may be approved for a maximum of one year. They may not be extended beyond the one year.

B-1/B-2 Visa Cap/Quota

There is not an annual cap under the B-1 and B-2 visa category.

Contact Our Firm to Speak With A Lawyer

If you are interested in wishing to obtain a B-1 or B-2 visa as either a temporary visitor or for temporary business in the United States our attorneys want to help you. Call our Boston, Massachusetts, office at 617-426-8100 or send an email for a confidential meeting.

Client Reviews
Lesley did a wonderful job for us. Her attention to detail and thoroughness paved the way for a successful outcome of our case. We are very pleased with her staff as well and I would definitely recommend her. Ryan Currin
Estoy bien contento con mi abogada. Porque tienen experiencia, responsabilidad y profecionalismo. Y les doy gracias por haverme alludado en mis asuntos legales, se los recomiendo que ellos te alludaran sin ningun problema. Sin dudarlo ve y compruebalo tu mismo. Ya se los e recomendado a mis amigos. Gracias a la abogada Lesley y a todo su personal por haver hecho mis sueños realidad. Luis
I've been with lesly houser since 2001, she managed my immagration status for me and my family and also some friends i recomended to go to her. I definitely recommend her for any immagration case. Daniel