Badge - Avvo, Legal. Easier.
Badge - Massachusetts Bar Association.
Badge - AILA
Badge - Federal Bar Association
Badge - United States of Appeals for the Federal Circuit

U Visas and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

The U.S. government has special programs designed to help both adult and child immigrants escape violence in their home countries and here within the United States. If you are not a citizen but need to escape a terrible situation, our Boston law firm is here to help you.

Options for Victims of Criminal Activity

People who have suffered either physical or mental abuse as the result of criminal activity, and can assist the U.S. government in pursuing wrongdoers, are eligible for what is known as U nonimmigrant status (U visa). With a U visa, an individual can:

  • Legally live in the U.S. for up to four years (with extensions granted in certain cases where someone provides help to the government as part of an ongoing investigation)
  • Eventually apply for permanent residency (green card)
  • Bring certain family members to the U.S.

There is an extensive application process involved in getting a U visa, including thorough documentation of the physical and/or mental violence suffered by the applicant. Our Boston law firm can help you through every step of the process and make sure all family members who meet the eligibility requirements can have a chance to come to the U.S. as well.

Additional Options for Child Immigrants

The government understands that children are particularly vulnerable and that children who are the victims of abuse or abandonment need special protection.

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) is available to qualified child immigrants under the age of 21. The two most important benefits of the SIJ program are that successful applicants can:

  • Obtain a green card, which allows them to live in the U.S. legally and pursue citizenship
  • Obtain authorization to work in the U.S.

The application process for SIJS is also extensive, and involves not only submitting paperwork to USCIS, but also judgment by state courts regarding a child's status. We can assist in every step of obtaining SIJ status.

There are important points to consider about SIJ status. For example, children who obtain a green card through SIJ status can never petition for a green card for their parents, and can only petition for siblings once they are U.S. citizens.

Contact Our Firm to Speak With a Lawyer

If you have been the victim of crime or abuse either abroad or in the U.S., our attorneys want to help you. Call our Boston, Massachusetts, office at 617-426-8100 or send an email for a confidential meeting.

Client Reviews
Lesley did a wonderful job for us. Her attention to detail and thoroughness paved the way for a successful outcome of our case. We are very pleased with her staff as well and I would definitely recommend her. Ryan Currin
Estoy bien contento con mi abogada. Porque tienen experiencia, responsabilidad y profecionalismo. Y les doy gracias por haverme alludado en mis asuntos legales, se los recomiendo que ellos te alludaran sin ningun problema. Sin dudarlo ve y compruebalo tu mismo. Ya se los e recomendado a mis amigos. Gracias a la abogada Lesley y a todo su personal por haver hecho mis sueños realidad. Luis
I've been with lesly houser since 2001, she managed my immagration status for me and my family and also some friends i recomended to go to her. I definitely recommend her for any immagration case. Daniel